Upper Cervical Care in Saint Johns
"A man is as young as his spinal column." - Joseph Pilate
Simply put, chiropractic care in Saint Johns is a system of optimizing human performance and potential by restoring or enhancing the body’s function. Learn more about Upper Cervical Care in this article by Balance Chiropractic Center, Inc.
What is Upper Cervical Care in Saint Johns?
The reason the base of the skull (the Occiput) and the top two vertebrae (Atlas and Axis) are so vital is that they surround the top of the spinal cord and are closest to the brain and brainstem. They do not have discs and interlocking joints like the other vertebrae do, which gives them a unique range of motion. Their location and motion make them very important to the health of the entire spine, as well as the brain.
When our body experiences sudden forces from slips, falls, car accidents, bumps to the head that force can travel through the spine to the Atlas and Axis and displace them. In chiropractic, misalignment of the spine that causes nervous system interference is called a subluxation. Subluxations can be caused without traumatic or sudden force as well. Constant forces such as poor posture, repetitive overuse or motion, poor sleep positions, and stress that cause muscle tension can be cumulative over time and cause spinal vertebrae to misalign causing nervous system dysfunction.
How is Upper Cervical Care Different?
Interruption in the normal function of the nervous system can cause a host of symptoms and bodily dysfunction. Because the brain controls all of the body’s functions, it is imperative that the spine, even more so, the upper cervical spine be in proper alignment. The skull and spinal column of the vertebrae are the protective housing of the delicate central nervous system. The relationship between the two is crucial to normal balance, health, and healing.
There are many ways in the chiropractic profession to correct spinal misalignments. Patients in Nocatee, and surrounding St. Johns County have been benefiting from precise upper cervical care with Dr. Lynn for over 15 years.
Symptoms of Misalignment
Misalignment of the two most upper bones in the neck can cause:
- Decreased blood flow to the brain as well as a poor venous blood drainage
- Spinal cord tension as explained by the Dentate Ligament Theory can cause a disruption in the normal flow of cerebrospinal fluid flow around the brain and spinal cord
- Disruption of the nerve signals to the balance center of the brain, altering posture control leading to mechanical stress to spinal discs and ligaments
- Altered signals to the brain can put the brain into a “fight or flight” status, mimicking chronic stress
- Spinal nerve root compression
- Muscular imbalance of the body leading to pain
Segmental changes that can occur at subluxated joints:
- Decreased range of joint motion
- Compensatory excessive range of motion of adjoining joints
- Degenerative disc disease that can lead to herniated discs
- Muscle tension/spasms
- Degenerative joint disease
- An altered function of cells, tissues, and organs due to direct nerve pressure
Doctors of Chiropractic do not treat symptoms, we simply look for the cause of the problem in the spine and make the needed corrections where needed. Only then is the body able to restore normal function and heal.
Results with Chiropractic
While chiropractors do not treat specific symptoms, patients who seek upper cervical specific care have had results with:
- Tension Headaches, Migraine Headaches
- TMJD (jaw pain)
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Neck Pain
- Back Pain
- Pinched Nerve Pain
- Meniere’s Disease
- Muscle weakness
- Paresthesia (increased or decreased sensitivity)
- Asymmetrical muscle imbalance
- Respiratory compromise (asthma, allergies, shortness of breath)
- Digestive disorders (acid reflux, indigestion, constipation, IBS)
- Circulatory problems (cold hands, feet)
- Reproductive problems (dysmenorrhea, infertility, ED)
- Weakened immune function
Who will benefit from chiropractic care?
Many of the world’s top athletes are chiropractic patients. When the brain and body are communicating most efficiently, the human body exhibits increased balance, hand-eye coordination, reaction times, strength and speed, faster recovery time from illness and injury. Professional and Olympic athletes have found that by incorporating chiropractic care into their training they reach and maintain their goals.
For the past 20+ years, Dr. Lynn has been adjusting every age patient from newborn infants to a few patients more than 100 years old in Northeast Florida. While the patients may differ, the approach doesn’t. Gentle, specific, and effective.
9:00am - 12:00pm
2:00pm - 5:30pm
Administrative Hours Only
8:00am - 1:00pm
9:00am - 12:00pm
2:00pm - 5:30pm
9:00am - 12:30pm
Saturday & Sunday